Balkan Language Initiative
Explore a region largely unserved by study abroad.
The Balkan Language Initiative offers intensive, highly-individualized instruction in Albanian, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Macedonian, and Serbian in six different countries.
Through homestays, conversation partners, in-class instruction, and a host of extracurricular activities in the Balkans, participants can enjoy an unprecedented opportunity to immerse themselves in daily local life in a region largely unrepresented in study abroad programs.
Currently, this program offers the following:
- Albanian in Tirana, Albania
- Bosnian in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Bulgarian in Sofia, Bulgaria
- Macedonian in Skopje, Macedonia
- Serbian in Belgrade, Serbia
- Serbian in Podgorica, Montenegro
Self-funded; financial aid is available
Open to undergraduates, graduates, and professionals; two semesters or more of experience in the target language or a related language required