To be eligible to participate in SYLP for program year 2010, an applicant must:
• Be proficient in the English language,
• Be currently enrolled in Grade I, II, or III,
• Be 15, 16, or 17 years of age as of April 1, 2010
(with a birth date between 2 April 1992 and 1 April 1995, inclusive),
• Be a citizen of the Republic of Serbia,
• Be eligible to receive a U.S. visa,
• Demonstrate leadership potential,
• Have a desire to contribute to his or her community,
• Be able to travel to the United States in April 2010, and
• Commit to participate in follow-on activities, which include the U.S. participants' visit in July 2010.
Four weeks in April 2010
All travel and program expenses are supported by American Councils, through its grant with the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, US Department of State
September 30, 2009
The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, US Department of State
The Serbia Youth Leadership Program (SYLP) supports the development of community activism, leadership skills, respect for diversity, and civic education in youth from Serbia and the U.S. This short-term cultural and educational exchange between for high school students and teachers and community leaders, will teach participants valuable skills of social entrepreneurship.
Participants travel to the United States for a four-week program to gain skills that will help them launch a successful Youth Venture — a community-based project — in Serbia. In the U.S. they will take part in a week-long orientation in Washington, D.C. that prepares them for a two week program in a U.S. community. Students will be divided into three groups and accompanied by youth leaders from Serbia. Each group will travel to a U.S. community, live with American host families, and participate in a thematic program.